Pond Construction | AQUASCAPE ECOSYSTEM PONDS
Sierra Hearth & Home can install & maintain your ponds and aquatic ecosystems no matter how large or how diverse your waterscape is. We serve Jackson CA, Pine Grove, Rail Road Flat, West Point, Volcano, Fiddletown, Lockeford, and all the towns & communities in Amador & Calaveras Counties.
You’ve had a long, stressful day at work, or a hard day of raking and mowing and pulling weeds. Imagine how relaxing it would be to sit at the edge of your own backyard pond. Dangle your feet in the water and listen to the soothing sound of the waterfall splashing over rocks as it winds its way down to the pond. Laugh at the antics of the colorful fish. Share your personal slice of paradise with your friends and family. Sierra Hearth & Home can make this vision come to life with an Aquascape Ecosystem pond!
DID YOU KNOW?
The average-size lawn uses 1000-1600 gallons of water every week. An Aquascape certified pond uses 100-300 gallons a week. Ponds are a good water-wise solution!
Aquascape’s Ecosystem approach to water gardening is based on recreating a naturally functioning ecosystem. An Ecosystem pond works with Mother Nature to provide food, shelter, and safety to the wildlife around it. It also provides you with an all-natural, low-maintenance focal point for your garden. This type of pond is very easy to understand once you have a good grasp of the simple components go into a basic, functioning ecosystem.
Let's talk about the five elements of the healthy ecosystem:
- Filtration System - Includes the use of both a biological and a mechanical filter.
- A BioFalls® (biological filter) provides surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize and remove excess nutrients from the water.
- A Skimmer (mechanical filter) will not only pre-filter the water and house the pump; it will also skim debris from the water's surface to prevent the accumulation of organic materials on the pond floor.
- Rocks and Gravel
- Rocks and gravel will not only protect pond liners from UV light degradation, but they will also provide tremendous surface area for beneficial bacteria to break down excess nutrients in the water and dissolved organic debris on the pond floor. They also naturalize the look of your pond.
- Recirculation System
- This is really just a fancy way of saying "pumps and plumbing." The proper size pump and pipe diameter are extremely important for the aesthetics of a water feature. More importantly, an efficient circulation system will keep the water moving and provide the necessary oxygen levels for healthy fish and plants.
- Fish are an integral part of any ecosystem. Unfortunately, fish are often seen as high maintenance. Contrary to popular belief, fish actually reduce pond maintenance as they graze on string algae and bottom feed from the pond floor. They also make very enjoyable pets, providing hours of natural entertainment.
- Aquatic Plants
- Mother Nature's true filters, plants are great for adding character to a pond by providing color and texture, but from a filtration perspective, they're second to none. Thriving from the excess nutrients in a pond and depriving algae of its food source, the aquatic plants in a water garden, given proper coverage, are critical for the overall health of the ecosystem.
Having all these things in place makes all the difference in the health and success of your water garden. Use them and work with Mother Nature, not against her, for a chemical-free wonderland of water. Come visit us at Sierra Hearth & Home and start your yard’s transformation. Sierra Hearth & Home will help you design your own project or build your pond for you. If you can dream it, we can build it!